I have a confession: I don’t have a mantra*. This is not to say that I haven’t meditated with a mantra but many spiritually inclined people have a personal mantra that is theirs. I have “tried on” many of the traditional mantras, but none felt quite right for me.
Today is the 50th anniversary of Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I have a Dream” speech. In my Art of Teaching class today we watched his speech and the mantra “I have a dream” truly resonated for me. I plan on trying it out for a few weeks and see how it fits.
(channeling my best Rev King)
- I have a dream that I will regain my life.
- I have a dream that I will be able to support myself.
- I have a dream that awareness about Lyme Disease and its long term effects will become recognized.
- I have a dream that we will all return to health and wellness; that we all will over come the suffering that this unseen illness bears down upon us.
- I have a dream that I will be able think clearly, unburdened by Lyme brain fog.
- I have a dream that I will be strong again.
I will report back and let you know how it goes- if it still speaks to my heart or if I will continue to search for my mantra.
*Mantra: a word or sound repeated to aid in concentration during meditation or times of stress. I will discuss mantras more in future posts.